Descendants of Richard Bird, Sr.
Generation No. 1
- Richard Bird, Sr.
- Was born 1750 in Randolph Co., North Carolina
- Died January 01, 1819
- He married CHARITY MCCULLEN January 01, 1773 in North Carolina
- She was born Unknown, and died Unknown
Children of Richard Bird and Charity McCullen are:
- i. ELIZABETH2 BIRD, b. August 16, 1778; d. January 24, 1820
- ii. RICHARD BIRD, JR., b. 1788
- iii. NANCY BIRD
- iv. SARAH BIRD
- vi. JANE BIRD, b. 1780
- vi. WILLIAM BIRD
, b. 1772; d. 1795
Generation No. 2
2. ELIZABETH2 BIRD (RICHARD1) was born August 16, 1778, and died January 24, 1820. She married JOHN HICKS.
He was born July 12, 1773, and died March 28, 1845.
Notes for JOHN HICKS:
LAST WILL & TESTAMENT OF JOHN HICKS
Know all persons by these presents that I John Hicks of the County of Bib within the State of Alabama do hereby
make this, my Indenture for the use and purpose hereinafter, expiry, to wit, that whereas I, the said John Hicks has an
enormous family of sons and daughters and being able to provide for the same in a manner suitable to my fortune and
circumstances, now this indenture witnesseth, that I the said John Hicks for and in consideration of natural love and
affection hath and by these presents do give, grant, bargain and convey to Richard Hicks, and Temple Spivey and to
the survivors of them to and for the use trust and purpose following to wit: To Richard Hicks to his own proper use
and behalf the quarter section of land on which he now resides the conveyance for the same in fee simple to be
executed to him as soon as a grant shall be procured for the same to Charity Spivey, my daughter, and wife of Temple
Spivey the quarter section of land on which said Spivey now resides; to William Hicks, my son, the quarter section of
land known by the name of the Robertson place and one Negro named Solomon, one feather bed and furniture, one
cow and calf and sow and pigs. To my son, Joseph Hicks, one quarter section of land on which he now lives or some
other quarter section of land and one Negro named Jins; to my daughter, Jane Lathem, wife of Enoch Lathem, the
quarter section of land on which said Lathem now resides or some other quarter section and one Negro named Cize;
to John Hicks, my son, a quarter section of land, one Negro named Jordon, horse, bridle, saddle, featherbed and
furniture, cow and calf and sow and pigs. To Lucinda Hicks, my daughter, one quarter section of land , one Negro
named Luisa, featherbed and furniture, horse, bridle, cow and calf, and sow and pigs. To my son Isaac Hicks, one
quarter section of land, one Negro named Martha, featherbed and furniture, horse, bridle, saddle, cow and calf, sow
and pigs; to Elizabeth Hicks, my daughter, a quarter section of land, one Negro named Mima, featherbed and
furniture, horse, bridle, saddle, cow and calf and sow and pigs. To James Hicks, my son, a quarter section of land,
one Negro named Anz, featherbed and furniture, horse, bridle, saddle, cow and calf, sow and pigs; and the quarter
section of land that is to be purchased to provide Joseph Hicks, Jane Latham, John Hicks, Lucinda Hicks, Isaac Hicks,
Elizabeth Hicks, and James Hicks, is to be equal value to quality to the quarter section of land which is already
purchased and promised for Richard Hicks, Charity Spivey, and William Hicks at this writing. After the lands and
other articles specified in this deed procured, if there should be any surplus of property, it is to be equally divided
amongst all my children. It being understood that I reserve the use and enjoyment of the above named slaves and all
the rest of the property to myself during my natural life, unless I should sooner be willing to dispose of the same
according as specified in this deed of trust. It being also understood that whatever I receive or may receive, in right
of my present wife, Catherine Hicks is to be included in this deed and I do by these presents constitute or ordain
Richard Hicks and Temple Spivey, my Trustees to do and act according as is specified in this deed witnessed.
Whereof I have set my (?) to affix my seal this 23rd day of February 1825.
Present of Attest: John Hicks (X) His Mark
- Willis Davis
- William Caddell
- Landon I. Carter
Children of ELIZABETH BIRD and JOHN HICKS are:
- RICHARD3 HICKS, b. February 24, 1799.
- WILLIAM HICKS
, b. May 17, 1800.
- JOSEPH HICKS, b. February 10, 1802.
- 3. CHARITY HICKS
, b. November 20, 1803; d. May 19, 1872.
- JANE HICKS, b. December 25, 1805.
- JOHN HICKS, b. December 06, 1807.
- ALLEY HICKS, b. July 09, 1809; d. November 05, 1812.
- LUCINDA HICKS, b. January 11, 1811.
- HENRY HICKS, b. August 11, 1812; d. August 06, 1813.
- ISSAC HICKS, b. August 15, 1815; d. July 20, 1886.
- ELIZABETH HICKS
, b. May 03, 1817.
- JAMES HICKS, b. February 05, 1819; d. October 14, 1866.
Generation No. 3
|3. CHARITY HICKS (ELIZABETH2 BIRD, RICHARD1) was born November 20, 1803, and died May 19, 1872. She married TEMPLETON SPIVEY June 26, 1820 in Bibb County, Alabama, son of JOHN SPIVEY and SUSANNAH STUTTS/SMITH. He was born September 22, 1794 in Moore County, North Carolina, and died September 25, 1877 in Bosque County, Texas (TX).
|Notes for TEMPLETON SPIVEY:|
There is said to be monument dedicated to the pioneers of Bosque County, Texas who settled the county before 1866 with Temple Spivey name inscribed on it. The marker is said to be located west of Highway 6 under a live oak tree between Valley Mills and Clifton, Texas. Also believed to have been a County Commissioner in Bosque County in 1857.
More About TEMPLETON SPIVEY:
Burial: Coon Creek Cem., Smiths Bend, Bosque County, Texas
Children of CHARITY HICKS and TEMPLETON SPIVEY are:
- 4. ISAAC TEMPLE SPIVEY, b. October 25, 1841, Meridian, Mississippi; d. October 14, 1909, Hansford County, Texas.
- WILLIAM SPIVEY, d. November 13.
- JANE SPIVEY, d. November 13, 1883.
- CAROLINE SPIVEY.
- MARY ANN SPIVEY.
- SOPHRONIE SPIVEY.
- LUCINDA SPIVEY, b. 1827.
- CALVIN SPIVEY, b. March 24, 1829.
- ELIZABETH BIRD SPIVEY, b. August 11, 1831.
- JOSEPH SPIVEY, b. 1832.
- HENRY SPIVEY, b. 1834.
- MARTHA SPIVEY, b. 1840; d. August 17, 1918.
- GEORGE W. SPIVEY, b. June 01, 1849; d. January 25, 1926.
- JOHN HICKS SPIVEY, b. April 08, 1821; d. March 01, 1900.
Generation No. 4
|4. ISAAC TEMPLE4 SPIVEY (CHARITY3 HICKS, ELIZABETH2 BIRD, RICHARD1) was born October 25, 1841 in Meridian, Mississippi, and died October 14, 1909 in Hansford County, Texas. He married (1) BETTY WALLING. She was born December 15, 1846, and died February 15, 1888. He married (2) LURA PRENTICE HOLT
. She was born April 12,
1865, and died December 07, 1935.|
|Notes for ISAAC TEMPLE SPIVEY:|
|Isaac Temple Spivey was born October 25, 1840 in Meridian, Mississippi and moved with his family to Bosque County, Texas near to what is now Meridian, Texas. He was a soldier in the Confederate Army with some of his brothers during the Civil War. In 1886 he laid the cornerstone for the Court House in Meridian, Texas. Isaac Temple
married Betty Walling and to this union 11 children were born, 3 of whom died in infancy. Isaac Temple was an ordained Methodist Minister in Waco, Texas. Betty Walling Spivey died in 1888 and Isaac Temple married Lura Prentice and to this union 10 children were born, one of whom died in infancy.|
Children of ISAAC SPIVEY and BETTY WALLING are:
- VIRGIL5 SPIVEY, b. January 01, 1866.
- More About VIRGIL SPIVEY:
- Fact 1: Oldest child - Died in infancy
- (5..)WILLIAM GAINES SPIVEY, b. December 31, 1868, Bosque County, Texas; d. January 01, 1930,
Hansford County, Texas.
- (6..)FREDONA ZULA SPIVEY, b. October 14, 1869; d. August 14, 1901.
- EARLY SPIVEY, b. October 05, 1871.
- More About EARLY SPIVEY:
- Fact 1: Died in Infancy
- BARNEY SPIVEY, b. October 28, 1873.
- More About BARNEY SPIVEY:
- Fact 1: Died in Infancy
- 7. GEORGE BASCOM SPIVEY, b. October 17, 1875, Bosque County, Texas; d. March 15, 1953, New Mexico.
- 8.JOSEPH RANDOLPH SPIVEY, b. September 25, 1877, Bosque County, Texas; d. December 19, 1954, Siloam Springs, Arkansas.
- SULLIVAN R. SPIVEY, b. December 01, 1879; d. October 18, 1918.
- More About SULLIVAN R. SPIVEY:
- Fact 1: October 08, 1918, Killed in WWI (Germany)
- IDA SPIVEY, b. February 28, 1882.
- More About IDA SPIVEY:
- Fact 1: Died in Infancy
- ISAAC TEMPLE JR. SPIVEY, b. July 01, 1884; d. May 28, 1909.
- 9. JOHN H. SPIVEY, b. September 14, 1886; d. November 13, 1975.
Children of ISAAC SPIVEY and LURA HOLT are:
- LILY5 SPIVEY, b. February 05, 1894.
- TRAVIS SPIVEY, b. April 21, 1895; d. 1895.
- 10. ERNEST SPIVEY, b. December 05, 1896; d. August 17, 1980.
- 11. ALICE LAVENA SPIVEY, b. April 06, 1898; d. August 08, 1982.
- ANNA LEE SPIVEY, b. February 11, 1900; d. May 30, 1999; m. (1) PAUL REYNOLDS; b. Unknown; m. (2) BARRY FORRESTER, 1944.
- 12. MAY PRESCILLA SPIVEY, b. January 20, 1902; d. April 23, 1976.
- LULA SPIVEY, b. January 29, 1904; d. 1904.
- 13. JEFFIE LYNN SPIVEY, b. March 08, 1905; d. April 09, 1993.
- 14. LUDA SPIVEY, b. February 12, 1907; d. May 29, 1996.
- ROBERT CECIL SPIVEY, b. July 17, 1909; d. January 01, 1993; m. ANNAREE PARSONS; b. November 30, 1911.
Generation No. 5
|5. WILLIAM GAINES5 SPIVEY (ISAAC TEMPLE4, CHARITY3 HICKS, ELIZABETH2 BIRD, RICHARD1) was born December 31, 1868 in Bosque County, Texas, and died January 01, 1930 in Hansford County, Texas. He married MARY WARD. She was born June 21, 1879, and died March 13, 1940.
Children of WILLIAM SPIVEY and MARY WARD are:
- ELIZABETH6 SPIVEY, b. February 19, 1911; d. July 07, 1984.
- WARD SPIVEY, b. August 14, 1915; d. March 17, 1990.
6. FREDONA ZULA5 SPIVEY, (ISAAC TEMPLE 4, CHARITY3 HICKS, ELIZABETH 2 BIRD, RICHARD 1) was born October 14, 1869, and died August 14, 1901. She married THOMAS JEFFERSON SMITH SR.. He was born April 13, 1863, and died January 01, 1907.
Children of FREDONA SPIVEY and THOMAS SR. are:
- i. THOMAS JEFFERSON SMITH6 JR., b. October 03, 1890.
- ii. EARL SMITH, b. January 29, 1892.
- iii. WILLIE SMITH, b. June 07, 1894.
- 15. iv. MAY IDELLA SMITH, b. September 18, 1895; d. March 06, 1975.
- 16. v. THELMA SMITH, b. June 20, 1897; d. December 21, 1965, Robert Lee, Coke County, Texas.
- 17. vi. LUCY SMITH, b. January 14, 1900, Coke County, Texas; d. June 1997, San Sngelo, Tom Green County, Texas.
- 18. vii. ZULA SMITH, b. August 02, 1901, Divide, Coke County, Texas; d. May 15, 1991, Fresno, Fresno County, California.
7. GEORGE BASCOM5 SPIVEY (ISAAC TEMPLE4, CHARITY3 HICKS, ELIZABETH2 BIRD, RICHARD1) was born October 17, 1875 in Bosque County, Texas, and died March 15, 1953 in New Mexico. He married NARCISSA ISABELLE (BELLE) VAUGHN July 30, 1893 in Bosque County, Texas. She was born January 02, 1876 in Scurry County, Texas, and died May 29, 1971 in Tucumcari, Quay County, New Mexico.
Children of GEORGE SPIVEY and NARCISSA VAUGHN are:
i. JOSEPH TERRELL6 SPIVEY, b. April 06, 1895; d. January 01, 1918.
19. ii. NINABELLE SPIVEY, b. 1901.
20. iii. GEORGIA LOUISE SPIVEY, b. March 03, 1909.
iv. WILLIAM JEROME (JAY) SPIVEY, b. 1911.
v. JOHN DEE SPIVEY, b. January 22, 1914; d. June 13, 1984; m. MARTHA LOUISE (TANA) SHIRLEY.
|8. JOSEPH RANDOLPH5 SPIVEY (ISAAC TEMPLE4, CHARITY3 HICKS, ELIZABETH2 BIRD, RICHARD1) was born September 25, 1877 in Bosque County, Texas, and died December 19, 1954 in Siloam Springs, Arkansas. He married ALICE VINITA JAMES January 01, 1912 in Hansford County, Texas. She was born May 31, 1888 in Iberia, Missouri, and died December 09, 1971 in Rogers, Arkansas.|
More About JOSEPH RANDOLPH SPIVEY:
- Cause of Death: Car wreck near Flint Creek Bridge, Hwy 412, Dec. 1954
- Fact 1: September 25, 1877, Bosque County, Texas (TX)
- Fact 2: 1905, Moved to Hansford County, TX around 1905
- Fact 3: Bet. 1911 - 1914, Sheriff of Hansford County, TX
- Fact 4: 1919, Moved with his family to Harding County, NM
- Fact 5: 1930, Moved with his family to a cattle ranch near Rosebud, NM
- Fact 6: 1936, Moved with his family to Siloam Springs, AR
|Notes for ALICE VINITA JAMES:
She was born May 31, 1888 near Iberia, Missouri daughter of (?)
and was named Alice Vinita James.|
She married Everett Crane in about 1905 and to this union Maude Crane was born on October 28, 1906.
This marriage ended in divorce in about 1908 and Mr. Crane received the custody of the baby (Maude)
due to the Mother (Alice) moving out of the state of Missouri.
Alice then moved west with her parents where Alice took correspondence courses and started teaching school in the Texas Panhandle. It was there that she met and married Joseph Randolph Spivey in about 1912 who was then or soon after sheriff of Hansford County Texas. Their first child, Joseph Edward Spivey was born in Dalhart, Texas on October 3, 1914.
Alice and her husband Joseph (Joe R. Spivey) had two more children - Calvin James and Sherman Rex.
Alice was a Christian lady always with high principles. She continued teaching school and that monthly check of $100 helped keep the bills paid, which especially helpful during the long national depression of the 1930's. She was a devout Christian Scientist from 1918 until her death in 1971 and her family has no memory of her having to take "man made" medicine to retain excellent health.
Children of JOSEPH SPIVEY and ALICE JAMES are:
21. i. ELSIE MAUDE CRANE6 BELL, b. October 28, 1906, Miller County, MO; d. March 01, 1995, Jefferson City, MO; Stepchild.
22. ii. JOSEPH EDWARD SPIVEY, b. October 03, 1914, Dalhart, Texas; d. May 06, 1995, Little Rock, Arkansas.
23. iii. CALVIN JAMES SPIVEY, b. January 18, 1918, Hansford County, Texas.
24. iv. SHERMAN REX SPIVEY, b. August 26, 1921, Texhoma, Texas; d. March 04, 2000, Rogers, Arkansas.
9. JOHN H.5 SPIVEY (ISAAC TEMPLE4, CHARITY3 HICKS, ELIZABETH2 BIRD, RICHARD1) was born September 14, 1886, and died November 13, 1975. He married JESSIE MARIE EUBANK. She was born June 20, 1901, and died January 15, 1999.
Children of JOHN SPIVEY and JESSIE EUBANK are:
25. i. ANNA MARIE6 SPIVEY, b. May 03, 1922; d. December 18, 1996.
26. ii. ADA JOYCE SPIVEY, b. June 18, 1924.
27. iii. JOHN HIX SPIVEY JR., b. August 12, 1932.
10. ERNEST5 SPIVEY (ISAAC TEMPLE4, CHARITY3 HICKS, ELIZABETH2 BIRD, RICHARD1) was born December 05, 1896, and died August 17, 1980. He married OLLIE MOORE. She was born August 29, 1886, and died March 07, 1974.
Children of ERNEST SPIVEY and OLLIE MOORE are:
28. i. MAE ERNESTINE6 SPIVEY, b. July 15, 1919.
29. ii. ISAAC TERRELL SPIVEY, b. March 11, 1921.
30. iii. THOMAS LEE SPIVEY, b. November 17, 1923; d. February 07, 2002, Spearman, Texas.
11. ALICE LAVENA5 SPIVEY (ISAAC TEMPLE4, CHARITY3 HICKS, ELIZABETH2 BIRD, RICHARD1) was born April 06, 1898, and died August 08, 1982. She married ORVILLE WALKER. He was born June 26, 1891.
Children of ALICE SPIVEY and ORVILLE WALKER are:
i. O. V.6 WALKER, b. February 13, 1917; d. January 11, 1995; m. NOVA LEE HENDERSON
; b. September 25, 1917; d. October 12, 1995.
31. ii. ROSS WALKER, b. June 13, 1919.
32. iii. ROY WALKER, b. May 26, 1927.
12. MAY PRESCILLA5 SPIVEY (ISAAC TEMPLE4, CHARITY3 HICKS, ELIZABETH2 BIRD, RICHARD1) was born January 20, 1902, and died April 23, 1976. She married FOSTER HUGHES. He was born August 13, 1899.
Children of MAY SPIVEY and FOSTER HUGHES are:
i. ALFRED6 HUGHES, b. November 17, 1928.
ii. LAVERNIA HUGHES HUGHES, b. September 04, 1930.
iii. MAX HUGHES, b. August 22, 1932.
13. JEFFIE LYNN5 SPIVEY (ISAAC TEMPLE4, CHARITY3 HICKS, ELIZABETH2 BIRD, RICHARD1) was born March 08, 1905, and died April 09, 1993. She married J. R. BELL. He was born Unknown.
Children of JEFFIE SPIVEY and J. BELL are:
i. ALDEN6 BELL, b. September 08, 1925.
ii. DONALD BELL, b. June 04, 1923.
14. LUDA5 SPIVEY (ISAAC TEMPLE4, CHARITY3 HICKS, ELIZABETH2 BIRD, RICHARD1) was born February 12, 1907, and died May 29, 1996. She married CARL HUGHES. He was born Unknown.
Child of LUDA SPIVEY and CARL HUGHES is:
i. LEROY6 HUGHES, b. November 28, 1925.